Why does some jewelry cause allergic reactions and What Can You Do About it?
For someone who loves to accessorize and pair their favorite outfit with a matching pair of jewelry, it is almost heartbreaking to develop a jewelry allergy.
Many people around us just cannot wear their favorite pair of earrings or a customized necklace just because their bodies won't accept that item. Isn't it the worst to find out the piece of jewelry you bought with so much love and excitement, and spent your money on, has just betrayed you?
Well, no matter how heartbreaking it seems, there is not much you can do about it. Unfortunately, jewelry allergy is a natural consequence of wearing certain materials that do not suit your skin. Hence, if your favorite bracelet is leaving behind a rash on your wrist or your matching pair of earrings is causing your ears to bleed – trust us, it's not worth trying. We have to say this with a heavy heart, but if you experience such a problem with your jewelry, it's time to say goodbye to it.
But it's not that easy to give up, now is it? as a consequence, today we decided to talk about the causes of jewelry allergy and how we can avoid it.
What is Jewelry Allergy, and What Causes it?
Just like any other allergic reaction, jewelry allergy occurs when our body comes into contact with a particular metal. People are often allergic to certain non-pure metals – most commonly nickel, and when they wear it, their body automatically activates the immune system. The cause behind this is unknown, but basically, your immune system is sensitive to such metals and considers them foreign and toxic and responds negatively to them. This is why, since nickel allergies are the most common type – many jewelry items specifically label themselves as "nickel-free."
Other metals commonly found in jewelry that can cause allergies include copper, brass, and bronze. In addition to metals, some people may also be allergic to certain types of gemstones, such as pearls, and the adhesives and glues used to bond them to the jewelry.
What to Do in the Case of Jewelry Allergy?
1. Stop Wearing those Items
Once you have realized that a certain piece of jewelry is causing an allergic reaction, it's better to take no risks with it. Remove that jewelry and stop wearing it – better to throw it away or give it to someone who can use it without an allergic reaction
2. Apply Soothing Lotions
Sometimes jewelry allergy can have a terrible reaction, and itching or rash can be painful. Hence, after removing the jewelry, the first thing to do is to apply soothing lotions or emollient creams. You can also apply certain mineral oils that act as a soothing moisturizer and heals the skin.
3. Go For Treatment
It is better not to make jewelry allergy lightly; sometimes, it can be difficult to heal; in that case, go to a dermatologist. They often give over-the-counter medication for such an issue, as here, they will most probably prescribe you a steroid cream. Cortisone or anti-inflammatory steroid cream is the best solution to treat allergic reactions on the skin surface. You can also take an oral antihistamine, which fights allergic reactions.
4. Avoiding Jewelry Allergy
To avoid jewelry allergies, it is best to choose jewelry made from hypoallergenic metals such as titanium, surgical stainless steel, or 18k gold. You can also look for jewelry that is labeled as "nickel-free" or "hypoallergenic." It is also a good idea to avoid wearing jewelry for extended periods of time, especially if you have sensitive skin, and to clean your jewelry regularly to remove any dirt or bacteria that may cause irritation.
If you don’t know where to buy good quality fine jewelry, which is guaranteed to cause your skin no harm, you can visit The Shop’n Glow. They have a collection of fine jewelry 14k Pure Gold Fine Jewelry and Sterling Silver which is beautifully designed, hypoallergenic, and free to return if you have an allergic reaction.
until next post ...